Compete in our online business simulation game, test your business sense, and win a partial scholarship for the Rochester-Bern Executive MBA.
During our Scholarship Competition, you are the CEO of your own firm and responsible for business decisions involving market entry, operations, and marketing. Over the course of three weeks, you will make progressive decisions to expand «your» business and compete against others in a global marketplace.
The three best competitors will win the following scholarships for class 2018/2019:
- 1st prize: CHF 25,000 scholarship on tuition
- 2nd prize: CHF 18,000 scholarship on tuition
- 3rd prize: CHF 10,000 scholarship on tuition
Competitors enjoy this intense experience, as they get to make all the decisions for their firms and see what it takes to succeed. They also discover what they may not know about the elements of business.
The experience is interesting, instructive, and most importantly, an opportunity to win a scholarship for the Rochester-Bern Executive MBA. The next Scholarship Competition will start on August 18, 2017.
Kindly register by August 11, 2017. To cover the administration costs, the participation fee is CHF 80.
The Scholarship Competition consists of a business simulation and following a final round for the best participants. The Business Simulation is offered by Marketplace Business Simulations at www.marketplace-simulation.com, an external learning solution company. Rochester-Bern has chosen the online course «Strategic Management» for the competition.
Participants play against their peers in groups of maximum 6 people. The game is set for 6 decision rounds (2 decisions per week, with each decision requiring a time-investment of approx. 1.5-2 hours) and replicates 1.5 years of doing business.
Participants are challenged to make tough decisions in marketing, product development, traditional and web sales channel, human resource management as well as the fundamentals of finance, accounting, and operations. The market in the game is competitive and fast-paced, the customers are demanding and the competition is working hard to increase their market share.
Grading is based on the balanced scorecard that measures profitability, customer satisfaction, market share in the targeted market segments, human resource management, asset management, financial risk, preparedness for the future and wealth. Regular feedback on how each participant’s company scores in relation to the other competitors will be provided by the EMBA team.
Final round: presentations
The participants who perform the best during the simulation are invited for the final round that consists of presentations in front of a committee (faculty, alumni and Rochester-Bern officials). The final decision is made by considering three aspects in equal measures: the overall game score, presentation reasoning & skills, and readiness for an EMBA.
The scholarship recipients are announced the same day.
Download this information as pdf: How does the business simulation game work?
August 11: Registration deadline
August 15: Deadline entrance fee payments; information and access to the simulation will be provided
August 18: Simulation starts
September 4: Simulation ends
September 5: Announcement of finalists & information about final round
September 8: Final round in Bern: presentations
Terms and conditions
Candidates interested in the Scholarship Competition need to meet certain criteria and have to agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Participants must meet the basic admission requirements for the Rochester-Bern Executive MBA program: academic or equivalent background and at least 5 years management experience OR 10+ years of managerial and leadership experience, fluency in English.
- CV submission is required upon registration.
- Only candidates whose registration has been confirmed are allowed to participate in the competition.
- Upon acceptance into the competition, candidates must pay a participation fee of CHF 80 in order to start the business simulation.
- The scholarship competition prizes have to be used for the class of 2018/19 and cannot be benefited from before or after that date. The complete application forms have to be submitted by November 15, 2017.
- Only candidates who receive less than 50% financial support from their employer are eligible for participation. Participants shall send us a copy of their further education agreement with their employer
- Candidates who participated in the previous Scholarship Competition rounds are suspended from further participation.
- Participation is limited to individuals who are not currently enrolled in the Rochester-Bern Executive MBA.
- Any travel, accommodation or visa needed to participate in the last round of the competition is the responsibility of the participant.
- Prizes cannot be accumulated with any other scholarship or discount offered by Rochester-Bern.
- Prizes may not be transferred, exchanged or redeemed for cash.
- There will be no correspondence regarding the competition; the decision of the committee is final; there is no recourse to legal action.