It’s Capstone Project pitching time! EMBA Class 23 student’s blog for all prospective students
by Ines Michel
The Rochester-Bern EMBA is not only about theoretical learnings, interesting and challenging classes and exams. During the next months, we will challenge ourselves with a totally different task. The so-called “Capstone Projects” are launched!
But what is a Capstone Project?
A Capstone Project is a business plan we write in small teams using everything we have learned so far. The setup is variable, almost everything is possible. Our Capstone Project may deal with the realization of a business idea, a problem faced by a student’s own company or with a project of an external organization. For more than 20 years, Rochester Bern EMBA students have come up with awesome and unique projects. Have you heard about Cookitup, the future digital kitchen? Or a business idea that saves lives? Discover more examples of past Capstone Projects on the RoBe website.
During the last couple of weeks, we explored business ideas and possible projects and presented them to our class in order to find team members. Marco, one of my classmates, even came up with three different ideas! But how do you explore new business ideas? Obviously, that’s easier said than done. For me it was very helpful to share my rudimental thoughts about potential business ideas with some of my classmates, my friends and my partner. Perhaps, you will get to the point when your classmates and friends get excited and your partner encourages you - so, you wonder… could my idea be a real business? How can you tell if your idea is good enough? And how can you justify your idea so that you can take it to the next stage? A great topic for one of my next blog entries – stay connected J.
Time to form teams and pitch ideas
So, the ideas are on the table and it is time to form the Capstone teams! A short discussion during the coffee break, a beer at the bar – it was pretty easy to create good teams. And we started working straight away. In two weeks, each team will pitch its best three ideas in front of our class and professor Dr. Anu Wadhwa. After that, we will choose exactly one idea for our Capstone project. We are looking forward to an interesting session! I will keep you updated!
A glimpse into our Rochester classroom…
As one of my classmates Marco would say: “Live is a pitch…”
- Blog post series no. 1: RoBe – The inside story
- Blog post series no. 2: There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch
- Blog post series no. 3: It’s all about creativity
- Blog post series no. 4: Is it all about Superwomen and Supermen?
- Blog post series no. 5: Rochester is calling - Let’s get our visas
- Blog post series no. 6: Earth to class: About unique professors and their diversity...
- Blog post series no. 7: Welcome to paradise - a very warm welcome to Rochester
- Blog post series no. 8: Time to study full time - be prepared to engage in a new experience
- Blog post series no. 9: Take your time to discover Rochester, the State of New York and the American Way of Life
- Blog post series no. 10: A reunion, a wedding, and a cervelat instead of Rio
- Blog post series no. 11: Are you a teamplayer?
- Blog post series no. 12: Changing your job during the EMBA program - about challenges, concerns and taking chances